Sunday, August 23, 2009

Smoking Salmon



All over Alaska, the subtle odor of smoking salmon leads people to find new friends. I know that when my smoker gets going I seem to have plenty of visitors, new and old. Nothing like a slice of this delicacy to start new conversations...

Smoking Salmon for the winter storehouse is routine in most parts of the State. When the runs hit, the knifes are kept sharp. Cleaning, slicing, marinating then drying proceed the actual smoking process. It isn't difficult with a bit of instruction, just time consuming, but sooooo worth the effort. After the fish is smoked, you may can or freeze it for later use, and will stay refrigerated for up to a month. Just one strip makes for a good lunch and will deliver needed energy for hours.

There are endless recepies for marinade, I mostly keep it simple with soy sauce and brown sugar in water. I leave the fish in the brine overnight, then hang to dry until tacky before beginning my slow smoke, which is I can keep the smoke cool enough last for about 3 days.

Contact: Michele Holley, Beluga Realty, Kenai, Alaska. 907-229-4650. Follow on twitter @Gwhizzzel

No comments:

Post a Comment